Dr. Irma Miriam Zamudio
Maintaining consistency of excellence is a hallmark of CODET doctors, as evidenced by Irma Zamudio’s track record extending back to her internship in ISSSTE’s Fray Junipero Serra Hospital from 1982-83.
In 1985 she graduated as a surgeon from Universidad Autónoma de Baja California and proceeded to earn her specialty in Ophthalmology at ISSSTE’s 20 de Noviembre Hospital in Mexico City in 1988.
Dr. Zamudio was then appointed Physician to ISSSTE’s Ophthalmology service and began a professional practice specializing in clinical and surgical ophthalmology for 22 years.
As she gathered experience and earned her exemplary reputation in the field, Dr. Zamudio discovered an affinity for teaching and accepted an ongoing role on the faculty of the Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, Tijuana campus, where she has taught since 2008. She also began teaching at the Universidad Xochicalco Campus Tijuana in 2013.
Like her colleagues at CODET, Dr. Zamudio remains committed to advancing her knowledge of Ophthalmology through continuing education. She has attended national and international courses and congresses throughout her career, focusing on both medical and surgical practices.
Dr. Irma Zamudio is the actual president at the Sociedad Mexicana de Oftalmología (SMO), 2021.
- Diploma in Hospital Management, Xochicalco University, 2014.
- High Level training at the Banco de tejidos de Asturias in Oviedo, Spain, 2014.
- Diploma in Bioethics, Iberoamericana University, Tijuana, 2015.
- Diploma in Public Health, UNAM, 2019.
- Publication “Guide to the diagnosis and treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema” (Guía para el diagnóstico y el tratamiento del Edema Macular Diabético). ISSSTE Journal of Surgical Medical Specialties (Revista de Especialidades Médico Quirúrgicas) 2015;20:321-327.
- Associated researcher in the research protocol “Extraction, conservation and implantation of Human Amniotic Membrane for reconstruction and treatment of different pathologies on the ocular surface” (Extracción, conservación e implante de Membrana Amniótica Humana para la reconstrucción y tratamiento de diferentes patologías en la superficie ocular), research project in health and social security SS, IMSS, ISSSTE-CONACYT 2016.
- Researcher. “Prevalence of Diabetic Retinopathy in ISSSTE Tijuana patients: An effort to prevent it” (Prevalencia de Retinopatía Diabética en pacientes del ISSSTE Tijuana: Un esfuerzo por prevenirla), 2019.
- Part of the founding project committee of the “Banco de Tejidos y Ojos” at Autonomous University of Baja California, 2019.
- Founder of the program “Prevention for eye damage in a patient with Diabetes Mellitus in Baja California” (Prevención del daño ocular en paciente con Diabetes Mellitus en Baja California), since 2012.
- Head of the Ophthalmology Service of the Fray Junípero Serra General Hospital of ISSSTE Tijuana, 2016.
- Member of the Transplant Committee of the Fray Junípero Serra General Hospital of ISSSTE Tijuana.
- Member of the Bioethics Committee of the Fray Junípero Serra General Hospital of ISSSTE Tijuana.
- President of the Sociedad Mexicana de Oftalmología (SMO), 2021.
- Professor for 22 years as the Chair of Ophthalmology at Universidad Autónoma de Baja California.
- Professor for 16 years as the Chair of Ophthalmology of the School of Medicine at Universidad Xochicalco.
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- Colegio de Oftalmología de Baja California. President, 2012-2013
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Sociedad Mexicana de Oftalmología. Representative Counselor of the North part of the Country, 2017-2018; Vice President, 2020; President, 2021
- Sociedad Mexicana de Salud Pública
- Asociación Pan-Americana de Oftalmología